Sunday, July 24, 2011

Off topic: Russell Brand on Amy Winehouse


I've never much enjoyed Russell Brand's work,as a comedian or as an actor.

I do not profess to know anything about him as a person, it's purely a matter of taste.

His cogent and heartfelt heartfelt blog post about the late Amy Winehouse is a beautifully-written piece of work. I told a lot of my friends about it but the traffic to his blog is so high, it seems, that the servers are creaking under the load and many can't read the article.

That's a shame, because it really is very good.

I reproduce below, as a small act of public service, the article in full.

In copyright terms that's a bit iffy, so after a day or so I'll remove all but a short quote and the link.

Try Russell's site first, and if it's still misbehaving read my copy - I'm not trying to siphon off his traffic.



EDIT: I've removed most of this piece now. I think it would have been unfair to leave it up permanently. The original's still up and very much worth a read at Russell Brand's site

ANOTHER EDIT: The Guardian have picked this article up now. The RB site is still hellish slow, so it may well be worth clicking here if you want to read the piece in full.

"Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius.

From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine.

My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a fucking genius."

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Lovely piece. Keep it up so others get the chance to read it too please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to leave it here until about tea-time, by which time hopefully the rush will have subsided & Russell's site can bear the traffic alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you there Mikey... have never been a fan of Russell Brand. But this is a different brand of Brand... not looking for the limelight or trying to shock - just an honest, thoughtful Brand giving us a glimpse of his own vulnerability and frailty as a means of understanding the sad, but sadly not unexpected, death of Amy Winehouse.

    PS I just tried but couldn't load his blog, so thanks for reposting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad I know that phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. We need research in to addiction, be it drugs, drink,fags,alcohol,gambling,sex,food, it blights lives

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Band The Should Be Deads were playing a NA fundraiser yesterday for Women seeking recovery from Addiction.when we heard the news. all 7 of us are in recovery from chronic addiction..we raised £800 yesterday which will help fund the setting up of Womens NA meetings in Bangalore India and also here in the UK. Addiction IS a disease. Recovering addicts are without parallel in their ability to support each other through recovery. Thnks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. Have been trying for hours to read Russell's piece, direct. For me his words have always been, genius. He does not fail here.

    ReplyDelete